top of page
  • ttelectricalinfo

How do you know if your property needs rewiring?

So many home owners turn on a light and never give their electrics a second thought. However, things do go wrong, especially in older properties, so it’s important to be aware of the early warning signs which might suggest your property needs rewiring.


We regularly get calls from Worcestershire property owners who are concerned about their home or rental property, wondering if it needs rewiring. Below we’ve detailed some of the things to look out for, which suggests your property would benefit from a rewire. Remember - if you have any concerns regarding the wiring of your property, it’s important to contact a professional.


Electric Shocks


When an outlet or switch is faulty or malfunctioning, an electrical shock can ensue. If you’ve recently plugged in a device to find you’ve received a small electric shock, then please waste no time in contacting a professional. We would also recommend turning off the source of electricity until it has been deemed safe.


Fuses Blow Repeatedly


Many of us home owners have experienced a fuse blowing or ‘tripping’. Usually, this is the consequence of a faulty appliance, however if it’s happening frequently, and there is no obvious reason, you should have an electrician check your wiring.


Faulty electrics can be dangerous and even with safety measures like RCD switches in place, it’s not worth risking your safety. If you suspect something isn’t right, we recommend you get in touch with a qualified electrician who will know what they’re looking for and fix the problem on your behalf.


An old house



It is recommended that your electrics are tested every 10 years if you own your own house, and 5 if you rent.


Take a look at your pendant lights. If they’re located near the windows rather than in the centre of the room, then this can be a sign that the property needs rewiring. Properties with lights positioned near windows were built in the 1950’s, and if the property had been rewired since then, the lights would have been moved to a more central location.


Use your senses


When we’re in a space for a long period of time, our senses can become used to the signs which would normally trigger a warning. So take a moment to consider the smell of the house. Is there a persistent burning smell where you can’t identify the source? If so, please turn off the power at the consumer unit/fuse box immediately.


Have a good look at your sockets and switches, are they discoloured or scorched? Brown marks on electrical sockets can indicate small fires caused by loose connections inside the sockets.


Lastly, when your lights are on do they flicker or do they seem dimmed to you? This could be a faulty bulb, but don’t rule out an electrical issue. If you’re experiencing any of the above issues then we suggest you turn off the power immediately and contact a qualified electrician.


If you’re purchasing an older property, it’s important to ensure the wiring is safe before buying. We’re always happy to take a look and let you know what work would be required to bring it up to the current expected standards.


This article was written by TT Electrical. TT Electrical have over twenty years of combined professional experience, providing electrical services across Worcestershire. If you’re interested in learning more, please visit our website at www.ttelectrical.net or feel free to contact us at info@ttelectrical.net

We look forward to hearing from you.

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page